Ads

Monday, April 21, 2014

An Improved Introduction to Manglish/Singlish or whatever you call it

The link to my previous blog post on this topic: Singlish and Malaysian Chinese's Manglish

Another somewhat-related topic: the different kinds of Yes in Malaysia

(Adfly warning - It won't let your computer get "cancer" a.k.a. viruses, you know. Just click the Skip Ad button on the top right corner of the page after the countdown reached 0)

Uhm, so.... I've been meaning to write this since last year.... LOL.... and well, now I've finally come to this. Actually, I don't even think this blog post is ever going to see the light of day within this month. It has been and will be sitting in my Drafts section, gathering enough internet dust and cobwebs so that the next time I edit this post, I would probably suffocate from breathing in all those virtual dust.

Do note that a lot of these words have origins in various mandarin dialects or from bahasa melayu or both, so if you're fluent in either one of those, you can be fluent in manglish/singlish fairly quickly. Aside from the words mentioned in the link from my previous blog post, these are some new words that you can learn about. :) I hope you enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed compiling this :) 

Oh and for those that have internet memes, I can add them in as well.... but later xD

(In no order whatsoever :P)

1. Kanasai (or KNN)
A rather rude word for cursing.

Example: 
a) - I won't be teaching you how to use a curse word, heh :P -


2. Ah-bo-den/ Ah-bu-den/ any slight variations of this
Literally meaning 'If not, then?'. Usually used in situations when the answer to a question is obvious. It is said in the sort of tone as someone who is speaking while rolling his/her eyes. The 'den' part should be dragged for effect.

Example: 
a) Seeing someone gearing up for a jog, "Eh, you're going jogging ar?"
"Ah-bo-den....."

b) "Wah, you finished already ar? So fast one...."
"Ah-bo-den.... Today's the deadline already mah..."
"WHAT?! Today's the deadline?!?!"


3. Beh tahan/ Cannot tahan/ any slight variations of this
Literally meaning 'Cannot stand *someone*'. The word 'Beh' is Hokkien for 'cannot' while the word 'Tahan' means 'withstand/ stand'. Usually used when you cannot stand someone's attitude or someone in general.

Example:
a) "I really beh tahan his attitude lah. Always want to win one~"
[I really cannot stand his attitude. He always wants to win.]

b) "I beh tahan this teacher nia... He kept giving us so many homework everyday."


4. Jiak sai
The Hokkien equivalent of 'eat shit'. Sometimes can mean literally as 'eat shit' or 'go to hell', or sometimes it can mean that someone is in deep trouble.

Example:
a) "This time I jiak sai liao lah. Tomorrow is the deadline and I haven't even started!"
[This time I'm in some really deep trouble. Tomorrow is the deadline and I haven't even started!]

b) "Wah, you think you more pro than me? You can go jiak sai lah."
[Wah, do you think you're better than me (in gaming, usually)? You can go to hell.]


5. Can/want die lah (or 'die liao lah')/ any slight variations of this
Usually used when in desperation. Having the feeling of wanting to die or almost dying due to overwhelming work.

Example:
a) "I can go die liao lah. So many work I haven't do...."
[I feel like I can die from the amount of work that I have yet to do.]

b) "Wah, give me so many work? Can die lah..../ Can die wey...."
[Wah, you're giving me so much work? I feel like I can die from the overwhelming work.]


6. On! or Jom! (In Bahasa Melayu)
Means what it says. Usually used when you're agreeing to a meet-up arranged by someone.

Example: 
a) "Eh, bro, you want to go with us to the gym tomorrow?"
"On!!!"

b) "We're going to prank Mr Lim tomorrow. You want to join us?"
"On!"


7. Ho jiak/ Ho chiak/ any slight variations of this
Literally means 'Good/nice tasty'. The Hokkien word for 'very tasty'. Usually used for describing delicious food served at a local hawker centre/food court/ any eatery.

Example: 
a) "Is this ais kacang nice?"
"Ho chiak!"


8. Okay bo?/ Lu okay bo?/ any slight variations of this
Usually used to show concern. Means 'are you okay (injured/feeling down) or not?'.

Example: 
a) Seeing you trip over something and fell. "Lu okay bo?"

b) Seeing you cry. "You okay bo?"


9. Chiu~ or Cheh~
A sound made usually when dismissing something someone said. The word can be dragged for more effect.

Example: 
a) "I've gotten that new battle pet in WoW!" 
"Cheh....... I've gotten it last week already lor."


10. Ai-yo
Similar to aiya.


11. Alamak!
Pretty much means 'Darn it!'. Usually accompanied by the sound of a palm smacking the forehead or the action of smacking a hand to the forehead.

Example: 
a) "You did remember to bring that thing I've told you to?"
"Alamak!!"


12. 'You ask me, I ask who?'
A Chinese idiom literally translated into English. It generally means 'I cannot give you the answer to your question. Who do you think I am? A know-it-all?' (in, obviously, a sarcastic way)

Example: 
a) "Eh, do you know whether Ah Meng and Gigi is back together or not?"
"You ask me, I ask who leh?"

b) "Bro, you know the formula for calculating the area of a triangle or not?"
Brother is busy with something and irritably replies "You ask me, I ask who? Go google it lah!"


13. See how lah
The very neutral way of not deciding what to do yet. It means 'I have not yet decided. It'll depend on what will happen next. We'll just have to wait and see.'. You can drag the 'lah' for effect.

Example: 
a) On Monday, "Bro, want to go bowling or not this Saturday?"
"See how lah."
On Tuesday, "Eh, bro, you want to go bowling or not one ar?"
"See how lah."
On Thursday, "Wei, you confirm going to bowling or not ar?"
"See how lah."
On Friday night, "Sht lah, bro. You're going or not?"
"See how lah."
"See how lah! See how lah! Wei, bro .... don't want to go mah say don' t want to go lor!!"
[See how lah! See how lah! Wei, bro, if you really don't want to go then just say you don't want to go.]


14. Mai/ Don't siao siao
Literally means 'don't be crazy'. 'Siao' is Hokkien for crazy. Usually used when someone have said  or done something totally ridiculous.

Example: 
a) "I've did it! I've just put a dead rat into Mrs Tan's drawer!"
"Wei, mai siao siao lah! She's one of the school's best discipline teacher. You'll get yourself caught."

b) "I will be a millionaire in this year!"
"Wei, mai siao siao lah. You are barely earning enough to make a living. Some more want to be a millionaire.... Go buy the lottery lah"


15. Bo bian/pian
The Hokkien equivalent for the phrase 'no choice'. Usually used when you've done something that you do not have (or think that you do not have) say/control over. 

Example: 
a) "Eh, why are you wearing a singlet to class?"
"Bo bian lor. All my clothes were damp from the sudden rain this morning."

b) "Why are you late?! I've been waiting for half an hour now!!"
"Bo bian. Traffic jam mah..." (In a nonchalant tone)
"Beng-beng know sure will traffic jam, why you don't start earlier?!"


16. Gin/gan-jiong
The Hokkien equivalent of the word 'Worried or nervous or heart-stopping'. Usually used when you're anxious over something or someone.

Example: 
a) "I'm going on my first date with that girl from my class. Wish me luck! Super gan-jiong nia!"

b) "Woah! Luckily you managed to break (stop the car) in time. Nearly gave me a heart attack. Gan-jiong ka~ bua xi."
[ka~ - means 'until'; bua - means 'half'; xi - means 'dead']


17. Chop/chup
Somewhat means 'Time out!'. A way to interrupt someone when he/she is talking. It can also be used to try to break up a fight. It may be considered rude by many people, attempt this at your own peril. You can say it repeatedly for more effect.

Example: 
a) "...and she's like 'Why did you not tell me that?' but I was going to tell her. It's just that...."
"Chup! Let's just order our food first, ok?"

b) "Chup, chup chup, chup, chup!!!! Let's not fight over this small matter, okay?" (The third party in a fight will usually say this.)


18. Wah, pro liao lor/ any slight variations of this
To compliment someone on their accomplishment - whether it is a small accomplishment, like managing to do a hard, but small task or a bigger accomplishment, like winning a competition. However, this is generally used in the context of gaming. Can be spoken in a sarcastic tone.

Example: 
a) Someone managed to solve a particularly hard math problem. "Wah, pro liao lor. Come teach me?"

b) "Lol, you guys gang bang me? Wah, pro liao lah you all? Wait till I respawn...... (*a hanging threat*)"


19. Kok-tao
Literally means 'Knock head'. Originated from the Hokkien dialect. Usually used in situations where you'll be asking yourself (usually in exasperation) 'Why did I do/say that?'. It can also be used when someone else did or said something particularly stupid. Can also be used in desperation. It can be accompanied by the action of exasperatingly knocking someone's or your head on anything solid.

Example: 
a) Your friend just messed up his pickup line for a cute girl he had his eyes on for a long time. 
"Wei, you can go kok-tao liao lah. Like that also can mess up!"

b) "Exams are just a few days away! I feel like I wanna kok-tao liao lah."


20. Long-piak
Has a meaning that is similar to 'Kok-tao', but this is more extreme. This literally means 'slamming *oneself* into a wall' or 'Running into a wall' in Hokkien. So, this phrase may somewhat imply suicidal tendency. 

Example: 
a) "I want to long-piak already lah! My boss is breathing down my neck for that project progress report and I haven't started on it yet! And not to forget that other project...."


21. Du-lan
Means 'very annoyed/frustrated'. Can be used to explain feelings someone have towards someone else's actions, attitude or general being, or something that is bothering them a lot. 

Example: 
a) "I'm very du-lan with her and her constant nagging. Can't I ever get a moment of rest?"

b) "I think that dog du-lan me already after being constantly tempted by doggy treats but not actually giving it any (extra ones)."

c) "I du lan that program already lah. It kept popping up errors and I can't get my work done!"


22. Pek-chek
A more extreme version of 'du-lan'. May be accompanied by the feeling of wanting to wring someone's neck or something's virtual neck.

Example:  *replace all the 'du-lan' examples with 'pek-chek'*


23. Xia sui
Means 'lose face'. You can lose your own face or your friend's face (by letting him/her down).

Example: 
a) "I'm a guy and I have to wear this tutu outfit for my group's presentation. Xia sui nia..."

b) Spoken to you by a friend, "Wei, I train you so long already and you still lose to that bastard? Xia sui me nia."


24. Gostan
Has no origins as far as I can tell. The word just popped up out of nowhere lol. It means 'reversing a car' or 'putting a car in reverse'. Usually, when you use the word 'gostan', it is automatically understood that you're referring to a car. However, this word can also be used casually for people as well, but this type of usage is very rare.

Example: 
a) "Wei, don't stand there. I'm going to gostan (the car). Later, I langgar you, then you know..."

b) While teaching someone to dance, "Okay, you then shake your hips a bit, then gostan a few steps, then side step twice..."


25. Win liao lor
A famous internet meme quote, this phrase is usually used to sarcastically acknowledge someone's 'victory'/ praise someone (usually) over some petty matter that no one cares about.

Example: 
a) "Yes! I've finished collecting my Digimon stickers!"
"Wah, win liao lor.." Without really paying any attention to him/her/while still doing your own thing.


26. ...one~
It is usually added to the end of sentences to imply certainty (Giving the sentence a bit of 'don't worry' sort-of feeling). Must be dragged for the desired effect. The usage of this word is rather hard to explain lol. Perhaps, I'll let the examples do all the talking.

Example: 
a) "You say one~ ah?" [You give your word, yes?]

b) "This machine is very awesome one~ It can cook anything for you!" [This machine is, for sure, very awesome. It can cook anything for you!]

c) "I beh tahan him nia. Always want to win one~" [I cannot stand him at all. He always wants to win.] 
-- Analysis: In this case, the 'one~' conveys the same meaning as the word 'always'. So, by having two words of the same meaning, it provides double power to the meaning 'always'.


27. Siao eh...
Literally means 'the person who is crazy'. It is usually used as a way of somewhat affectionately calling someone that you are very close with. It means pretty much like the word 'homie' in the West. However, this may be considered rude by most people.

Example: 
a) "Eh, siao eh, want to go play laser tag later?"


28. Beng-beng/Meng-meng
Means 'I could have sweared that'. For things that you are very sure of but somehow, it's no longer true/there.

Example: 
a) "I beng-beng saw your wallet right over here. Now, it's gone!"

b) "You beng-beng said you want to belanja [treat] us, but now you want us to pay you back? WTF!"


29. Chui xi
Literally means 'finding death'. This can be used to describe people who have a death wish or people that you think have a death wish.

Example: 
a) "Wah, look at that car speeding like hell.... the driver really must be chui xi one ah."


and not forgetting the very famous...


30. Don't play play :)
A famous quote from Phua Chu Kang. It means 'don't do stupid stuff'. Is similar in meaning with 'mai siao siao' albeit a less extreme version. 

Example: *You can replace the examples for 'mai siao siao' with 'don't play play'*


31. Jit bai diou ho/hor seh liao
Literally means "This time I'm/we're/you're/... done!" or "This time I'm/we're/you're/... completely fcked up!". It means someone has messed up so bad that they're so going to get it (the consequence) later on.

Example:
a) "Fck, I haven't finished Ms Lee's homework yet."
"Lu (you) jit bai diou hor seh liao lah! Don't forget that Ms Lee's the most feared discipline teacher in our school."



For more, stay tuned! I'll see what else I can come up with :)

No comments:

Post a Comment